Fall 2023 Admission (Application Start Date: 10 January 2023)
Applicants should possess:
- a bachelor’s degree with at least second class honours; or
- an equivalent qualification.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
Applicants are required to demonstrate a bilingual ability in speaking, listening, and writing in English and Chinese. Cantonese proficiency is not required.
Applicants should meet the language requirements below in both English and Chinese:
- Grade D or above in AS/AL Use of English; or
- Level 4 or above in English Language (HKDSE); or
- a minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based); or
- an overall band score of 6.5 or above in IELTS; or
- CET-6 (College English Test Band 6) in mainland China: 500 or above; or
- a BA degree with English as the medium of instruction; and
- Grade D or above in AS Chinese Language and Culture (HKALE); or
- Level 4 or above in Chinese Language (HKDSE); or
- Grade 5 or above in Chinese Language A Standard & Higher Level at International Baccalaureate (IB); or
- Grade 6 or above in Chinese Language B Higher Level at International Baccalaureate (IB); or
- Level 2 or above in the Shumian Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (SHSK); or
- Total score of 240 or above in the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (Chinese Proficiency Test HSK level VI); or
- a BA degree with Chinese as the medium of instruction; or
- passed the Chinese language test arranged by the Department of Humanities and Creative Writing, HKBU.
The following documents must be submitted for assessment upon application:
- a 12-15 page writing sample of creative works in any genre (such as fiction, nonfiction, or poetry), including both English and Chinese works (in 12-point Times New Roman, double-spaced). Note: Poetry may be single-spaced. The applicant should submit their best work, so the proportion of English to Chinese is up to the applicant.
- a 1-page Master Project proposal in either English or Chinese. (The Master Project is a 6-credit course over two semesters that requires completing a supervised, independent research and/or creative project.)
Application period: 10 January-1 April 2023Applications for admission should be made to the Graduate School of HKBU starting from 10 January 2023. Details can be viewed here.
You may also contact the Graduate School for further details via submission of the Enquiry form (please select “Prospective Student” under “Taught Postgraduate” as the Enquiry Type).
For information about financial aid and scholarships, please visit here.
HK$ 170,000/programme (local students)
HK$ 179,200/programme (non-local students)