Dr. François Mouillot
- Assistant Professor
- Tel3411 6674
- Emailfmouillot at hkbu.edu.hk
- 2023-2025 Principal Investigator, “Untold Hong Kong Stories: Multimedia Narratives from the Margins “, Initiation Grant for Faculty Niche Research Areas (competitive grant), Hong Kong Baptist University (HKD 739,800).
- 2021-2023 Principal Investigator, “Understanding the Hong Kong Live Music Sector: The Value of Live Music Infrastructures” General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (HKD 265,996)
- 2021-2023 Co-Investigator, “Networking Creative Tools for Remote Artistic Collaboration” Initiation Grant for Faculty Niche Research Areas (competitive grant), Hong Kong Baptist University (HKD 1,025,000)
- 2020-2022 Co-Principal Investigator, “Collaborative Artistic Production with Generative Adversarial Networks” Interdisciplinary Research Clusters Matching Scheme Grant (competitive grant), Hong Kong Baptist University (HKD 999,364)
- 2019-2020 Principal Investigator, “The Politics of Urban Noise in Hong Kong: Street Music and the Public Sounds of the City”, Faculty Research Grant (HKD 100,000)
(2021). Fractured Scenes – Underground Music-Making in Hong Kong and East Asia. Co-edited with Damien Charrieras. Palgrave MacMillan.
(2020). “Avant-garde and Popular Forms Between Music and Visual Media – Transhistorical and Intermedial Investigations”. Co-edited with Simone Dotto and Maria Teresa Soldani. Cinéma & Cie – International Film Studies Journal, vol. xix no. 33.
(2022) “The social and cultural dimension of ‘platforming’ live music: the case of the Hong Kong independent music scene during the Covid-19 pandemic”. Popular Communication, DOI: 10.1080/15405702.2021.2006663
(2021) “Hearing the Inaudible: The Hong Kong Experimental Music Scene in the Covid-19 Pandemic”. Perfect Beat, 21(2), 123–134. https://doi.org/10.1558/prbt.19421
(2020) “Avant into Pop, Pop into Avant. Interplays between Music and Visual Media”. Co-authored with Simone Dotto and Maria Teresa Soldani. Cinéma & Cie – International Film Studies Journal, vol. xix no. 33, pp. 7-19.
(2015) Getting Out of the Black Box: Analogizing the Use of Computers in Electronic Music and Sound Art”. Co-authored with Damien Charrieras. Organised Sound, vol. 20 no. 2, pp. 191-199.
(2009) “Resisting Poems: Expressions of Dissent and Hegemony in Modern Basque Bertzolaritza”, Critical Studies in Improvisation/Études critiques en improvisation, vol. 5 no. 1, pp. 1-12.
(Forthcoming). “Musique actuelle: Creating the Jazz Scene in Quebec”. In Bruce Johnson, Adam Havas & David Horn (eds.), The Routledge Companion to Diasporic Jazz Studies, Routledge.
(2021). “Industrial Isolation and Cultural Self-Exile: the Formation of an Independent Music Scene in Montreal”. In Christina Ballico (ed.), Geographically Isolated and Peripheral Music Scenes, Palgrave MacMillan, pp. 133-156.
(2016) “Banding Encounters: Embodied Practices in Improvisation”. Co-authored with T. Hahn, L. Campbell, L Vogt, S. Rose, G. Blake, C. Lee, S. Tucker, J. Milovic, and P. Williams . In Gillian Siddall and Ellen Waterman (eds.), Negotiated Moments: Improvisation, Sound, and Subjectivity, Duke University Press, pp. 147-167.