The department recognises and acknowledges the effort of our students, we offer the following awards every year to our most outstanding students.
- Top 3 cGPA
- Best improvement award
- Best Scholarly Research for Honours Project (Chinese and English)
- Best Creative Writing project for Honours Project (Chinese and English)
In addition, Office of Student Affair is providing scholarships and financial assistance to HKBU students, for more information, please visit http://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/sfa.
Scholarships, fellowships and awards, which are donated by private organizations, professional bodies, firms and individuals, are bestowed upon the selected recipients including new students on the basis of academic merits and other criteria stipulated by the donors. Most of the scholarships are for full-time students undertaking UGC-funded / publicly-funded courses. In 2016-2017 academic year, around 1,700 individual scholarships and prizes will be awarded through the University to students in various disciplines of study, with the total combined value amounting to approximately HK$38 million.
Students will be awarded scholarships through the following three means:
- By open application – the main round of application for University Scholarships is open in late August to September each year; while individual scholarships are open for application whenever requested by the donors. Internal selection will then be made on the basis of academic merit, leadership and other personal qualities, financial need and services to the community. Internal and /or external selection interviews may be needed.
- By nominations from Faculties / Schools / Departments and other relevant offices, subject to the final selection / approval by the donating parties.
- A number of scholarships/ awards donated by external parties are open for application throughout the year. Interested students should submit their applications to the donors directly.
University Financial Aid - Bursaries and Loans
Bursaries and loans, which are donated by private organizations, professional bodies, firms and individuals, are allocated to full-time students with genuine financial needs. For some donations, the students’ field of studies, academic performance and other criteria set by the donors may also be considered. University bursaries and loans are normally for full-time students taking UGC-funded / publicly-funded programmes, except a few faculty / department-based bursaries. In 2016-2017 academic year, around 210 bursaries will be awarded through the University to students in various disciplines of study, with the total combined value amounting to approximately HK$1.8 million.
Students can apply for the University Bursaries and Loans at the beginning of the academic year. Applications will normally be closed in mid to late September. There will be internal vetting of applications. Scholarships and Financial Aid Unit (SFA) will send the nominations to the donors and the approvals are subject to the donors.