Modes of Study
Both the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree programmes may be pursued either on a full-time or a part-time mode.
Fields of Study
At Hong Kong Baptist University, the selection of areas of research is based on students’ interests and the university’s resources. For Humanities Studies, the field of study is interdisciplinary. Students can choose among Cultural Studies, Comparative Literary Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Film Studies, Arts and Aesthetics and Postmodernism.
Research Postgraduate Programmes Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to the PhD degree programme should possess:
- A master’s degree from a recognized university or comparable institution; or
- A bachelor’s degree with first class honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; or
- Any other qualification deemed by the Graduate School to be acceptable for this purpose.
Candidates under point 2 should have evidence of research achievement/experience. They may be admitted to the MPhil programme initially, but with a view to proceeding to the PhD programme after satisfactorily passing assessment at the time of candidature confirmation.
Candidates under point 3 may be required to take a qualifying examination, in which event their progress shall be reported to the Graduate School at the end of their first year of study.
Applicants seeking admission to the MPhil degree programme should possess:
- A bachelor’s degree with honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; or
- A qualification deemed to be equivalent; and shall, if required, satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination.
- Normally, only first and second class honours graduates will be considered to have met the admissions criterion under paragraph 1. Graduates with third class honours degrees, with a period of relevant work experience and satisfactory results in the qualifying examination, may also be considered.
Interested applicants should look at our existing postgraduate students’ profile for reference.
For general information on postgraduate study, please refer to HKBU Arts Faculty official homepage: http://artsbu.hkbu.edu.hk/index.php/hk/prospective-students/admissions-postgraduate In addition to the regular research degree programme, students who are interested in pursuing a PhD in Humanities and Creative Writing may also consider applying for the annual prestigious Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme. Established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009, the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students from all over the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong. For more information on eligibility criteria and the application process, please visit: http://gs.hkbu.edu.hk/en/hkpfs/fellowship/